Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Music News You Can Use - September 2014

Happy September -- starting to feel like Fall in Northern California, fog season is winding down and Indian Summer is around the corner.


This last month, I took a couple of weeks off from my music business to visit family up in Oregon, eastern Washington, and Idaho.  Filled my heart with joy to meet two new babies, and to reconnect with nephews, cousins, in-laws and my 92 year old Uncle Robert.  On the way to Idaho, I drove through the Palouse country which I hadn't seen before, lovely rolling hills planted in wheat, barley, lentils, garbanzos and peas.  Beautiful!!

Back in the Bay Area, I caught Aireene Espiritu's excellent CD release show at the Freight last week.  She put together a fine band for the evening, and Claudia Russell and Bruce Kaplan did a nice opening set too.  No gigs of my own during August, but I sat in with friends Dave and Chappell Holt and Randy Rood, at their show at the Arlington, a favorite little spot in the Berkeley hills.  And I was honored to play the fiddle in my nephew's wedding ceremony this last weekend.  It is amazing how tunes come back that I haven't played in years, just takes a couple of hours of noodling.

I have been finalizing my CD project, which now has a name:  "Who Zat"  (hmm . . . wonder what I'll call the next one).  I put up a pre-view track for you here.   Would love your feedback on it, especially on the drums?   What do you think?  It is a bit of a departure from my folky, rootsy sound.

The FAR-West conference in Oakland is just around the corner now, and we are getting very busy taking care of the hundreds of details that go into putting on this wonderful gathering.  I confess I wonder sometimes why I ever agreed to co-chair it, but we'll get through the crunch, and it will be a blast as always.   The general public is welcome at the evening performances on October 16, 17 and 18.  The talent line-up is always amazing -- really the best of the best.  More info here.

Got a few gigs coming up this month including a couple of private parties.  This Saturday I'll be at Ruth McGowan's Pub in Cloverdale, with my pal Floyd Latimer.  I am looking forward to the fun and to seeing my Sonoma County friends.  I'll be at the Kensington Farmer's Market in September also, and I am backing poet Marv Hiemstra at a reading in Petaluma.   Please check my calendar for details.

That's a bit of my news.  Always love hearing what you are up to.

John
Roy Zat
Croizat
Whatever

No comments:

Post a Comment