Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Music News You Can Use - July 2015

August is almost here -- I'd better get my July newsletter out !!
I had an amazing time at the Festival for the Eno in DurhamNorth Carolina over the July 4th weekend; and I have some fine music to share with you.  Top of the list is Mandolin Orange (click the play button on their website).   Oh my -- right up there with Gillian and David.  The other group that knocked me out was River Whyless.   Watch this and stay with it -- it takes off big time.   And there were lots of other great acts.  So much fine music in two days !!  Oh, I almost forgot to mention, there was also this guy.

I was staying in Durham with my newly discovered second cousin, Richard Harkrader, and his family.  We share a common great grandfather, and this was the first time we had met.   It was wonderful and a bit uncanny.  We look like brothers; definitely from the same part of the DNA pond.
 

I got back to California on July 10th, after almost 8 weeks on the East Coast.  It was an amazing trip: becoming a grandpa, meeting new family, hearing a lot of fine music, playing the Eno.   Life is pretty miraculous sometimes.

Since getting back, I have been playing parties and events pretty much every weekend -- like Teddy Bear Picnic day at the SF Zoo.  (The Berenstein Bears were even there!!)  Otherwise,  I've been working on preparations for the FARWest Folk Alliance conference in Oakland in October.   If you are a folk/roots/americana flavored musician, you want to be there.  Four days of shows, jams, workshops, networking -- like nothing on earth!!  I've been hooked on FARWest for five years now.

Mark your calendars:  I have two concert dates that I have to tell you about.  Coming up first, I am very excited to be playing with singer songwriter Keith Alan Mitchell, at the Octopus Literary Salon in Oakland on August 8th.  Check him out here.  Great songs and delivery !!

Then, on September 11th, I have a date at the Monkey House in Berkeley with JC & Laney, a powerhouse duo from Phoenix.  Listen here.  Bring your seatbelts; they will blow the roof off !!

Summer is definitely rolling and roaring along here.   I look forward to hearing what you are up to.

John
Roy Zat
Croizat
Whatever
  

No comments:

Post a Comment