Thursday, February 12, 2015

Music News You Can Use - February 2015

Happy almost Valentine's Day. It has been a busy few weeks since my last newsletter. Main priority has been wrapping up my CD -- it will be out at the end of February. Yay!! Here are a couple more songs for your listening pleasure: Cluck Old Hen and Back To The Mountains.

I also have redone my website and put up a new website for the Born Lucky Band, my collaboration with Michael Hanna. This was in response to very helpful input from Kyle Weber at Indie On The Move, mentioned last month. Already have one more date booked on the East Coast and a number of possibilities brewing as a result of working with him. Exciting!

I have not been much of an open mike fan in the past, but a post from Ari's Take inspired me, and I got out and had a good time at a couple of them this last week: the Ivy Room in Albany, run by Burke Trieschmann, and the First Street Cafe in Benicia run by Chris Bryant. Both are well attended and have a good mix of styles and level of talent. 

Speaking of talent, I heard an excellent gypsy jazz guitarist and singer at the Benicia open mike. David Pendleton lives in Athens (the Greek one) and was visiting his dad. No links to share with you because David doesn't have a website, no Youtube videos, no Facebook page, no CD -- he just plays music full time on the street and in clubs, and supports himself doing it. Sounds like another era, doesn't it. Nice to hear that this is still possible. Maybe if I spent more time playing and less time on the computer . . . hmmmmm.

Going to be rehearsing with Chappell and Dave Holt over the next few weeks getting ready for our trip down to Los Angeles at the beginning of March. Dates are on my calendar below; if you are in the neighborhood would love to see you. 

I want to mention another date. On March 28th,I'll be opening a show, Songs From The Heart For The Heart, with Dulcie Taylor and Aireene Espiritu. This will be at the Monkey House Theater in Berkeley. I suppose it would have been more ideal to have it on Valentine's Day but heartfelt music is right any time, right?

And on that note, I hope you get lots of love on your Valentine's Day.

John
Roy Zat
Croizat
Whatever

No comments:

Post a Comment