Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hello October

October!!   Halloween stuff in the stores already, starting to make plans for Thanksgiving and even year end holidays.   Oh my!!

September has whizzed by with my ears mostly in my headphones --  working away on CD number three.   I had hoped to have it ready by mid-October, but that deadline was long ago abandoned.   I have some good songs, and I am putting the time in to make them sound right.  I am broadening the format from my "Solo" CD and  including multiple instruments on the songs and the talents of other musicians.   Actually, I am thinking seriously of abandoning the CD concept and sending out songs as I get them done.  Remember the days when bands put out singles?  Well, it seems to have come round again, with 45s being replaced by web downloads.   

Had some fun performances this last month (Chester's, Kensington Farmer's Market, Cole Valley Street Fair, and Bella Winery among others),  and I saw some good music too.  Ray Bonneville with Nina Gerber at Studio E were excellent as expected.   (Do check him out.)   And, I went to a house concert performance by Evie Ladin and Keith Terry.   They do old time and folk mixed with body percussion of all kinds.  Lively stuff and a lot of fun!!    Evie teaches, and I got one of her DVDs to expand on my repertoire of foot "tappage."    Quite a work out!!

I am heading down to Los Angeles in the middle of October for the annual FAR-West (Folk Alliance western region) conference -- a business gathering for folk musicians.   It was excellent last year, and I am sure I will get a lot out of it again this year.   I have filled my showcase room and have a nice variety of artists performing in it.  I will be doing some performing myself at several showcases there as well.  

But not so much performing in the Bay Area in October.  I'll be at Chester's in Berkeley this Saturday, October 6th with Dorcas Moulton.  Sonic Boomerang will open, which is always fun; and we hope to see you if you are out and about.  At the end of the month,  I am doing a fundraiser in Rohnert Park with the "Spare Me The Details" Band.  And, I'll be back at Chester's on November 3rd, most likely sharing the bill with Don't Look Back.

Looking further out, Dorcas and I will be doing a concert at the Occidental Center for the Arts on November 11th with Chappell and Dave Holt -- A Celebration of American Song: Old Time to Jazz, Traditional to Original.     We are putting together a show to touch on the huge variety of American music, which is no small challenge.   The "OCA" is a first rate venue, and it is very exciting to be working on this production with such talented folks.   Already planning and practicing to make this a real stand out event.  Save the date!!

That is a bit of my good news.   Hope you are making some good news of your own.  Let me hear from you.

All the best,   John

No comments:

Post a Comment